site hit counter

[NLD]∎ Read Gratis The Big Midweek Life Inside The Fall Olivia Piekarski author Steve Hanley author 9781901927658 Books

The Big Midweek Life Inside The Fall Olivia Piekarski author Steve Hanley author 9781901927658 Books



Download As PDF : The Big Midweek Life Inside The Fall Olivia Piekarski author Steve Hanley author 9781901927658 Books

Download PDF The Big Midweek Life Inside The Fall Olivia Piekarski author Steve Hanley author 9781901927658 Books

_feature_div" class="feature" data-feature-name="bookDescription">

The Big Midweek Life Inside The Fall Olivia Piekarski author Steve Hanley author 9781901927658 Books

I've always maintained that bass players and drummers write the best music bios. They don't have the distorting egos to maintain, keeping slightly out of the spotlight, workmanlike, but gaining more perspective than the blokes at the front of the stage. Steve Hanley has seen it all: the creative bloom and critical respect as well as the descent into oblivion under the initially benign but eventually mad (and maddening) dictatorship the godlike (and devilish) genius of Mark Smith. Not a band bio in the conventional sense, Hanley gives a direct personal account of his 20 years in one of the UK's most lauded bands. In a manner both direct and subtly dry and witty he draws you into a first-hand tale which is so finely crafted one can't help but feel that this might be a novel or a work of exceptionally literate self-analysis: a tale so well told that it reads like fiction. While other Fall writings (and I've read them all) are largely crafted for the faithfull, Hanley has fashioned something for anyone who can appreciate the extremes of joy and bitter pain of reaching for the brass ring and falling short (and increasingly with with a longer drop). I can't thank Steve enough for writing a book which ultimately transcends the band and it's history and simultaneously adds to it'd depth: no mean feat considering the extent of Fall's output. So, thank you Steve for writing the story of the Fall which the master wordsmith Mark Smith could never have written.

Product details

  • Paperback
  • Publisher Route Publishing (2016)
  • Language English
  • ISBN-10 1901927652

Read The Big Midweek Life Inside The Fall Olivia Piekarski author Steve Hanley author 9781901927658 Books

Tags : The Big Midweek: Life Inside The Fall [Olivia Piekarski (author) Steve Hanley (author)] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers.,Olivia Piekarski (author) Steve Hanley (author),The Big Midweek: Life Inside The Fall,Route Publishing,1901927652
People also read other books :

The Big Midweek Life Inside The Fall Olivia Piekarski author Steve Hanley author 9781901927658 Books Reviews


I love this book but I am finding it hard to feel any affection for our dark master (MES) after reading it. I love this band, and I always will. I just wish Mark could have been kind. Thanks for the book Mr. Hanley!
The memories of Steve Hanley are so honest and well written, half the time it felt like being in amongst all the shenanigans.
I love The Fall, have done since I heard and bought How I Wrote Elastic Man, fell in and out with them every now again which is really what this book describes in all its hilarity, honesty, pettiness, northern-ness, friendships, breakups, loyalty, however earned and misguided, crazies, and really the story of a worker bee and how he managed to get through life in The Fall, but life in general, his first kids health issue was really open writing that was beautiful to read.
The most important thing of all though about this book is the sheer non stop humour involved, it is a laugh constantly, and laugh out loud is well overused phrasing but I was in fits at some of the mental, and idiotic stuff.
Spinal Tap, this is beyond any of that x 10, no need to say anything about MES, how Steve has managed to see the funny side of so many of these excruciating situations says so much about himself that he deserves the highest respect.
This book is without a shadow of any doubt the best music autobiography or memoir you could ever read, and I am sure if you are even interested in music never mind the madness that is The Fall, you will know what I am saying here.
I could not put this book down, read it in 2 days, absolutely marvelous, well done to Steve and his co-author for this, I am eternally grateful.
W.
Funny, well-written balanced account from the bass player of the Fall from the first 20 years. When I met and interviewed the band as a college kid in 1985, Steve was the other quiet one, and the member I don’t remember having a conversation with. Confirms what I knew, that Karl Burns is indeed mad. His take on the Marc Riley situation is different than all the oft-repeated stories you hear, without being nasty. Steve goes from admiration to disbelief to disgust over the course of the book. Many of the stories come across as if you were sharing a pint in a pub with him. I never realized when you hear Mark sing ‘don’t start improvising,’ towards the end of a song, it was actually a command to the band not a lyric. Or that ‘Eat Yourself Fitter’ was a line from a magazine advert. Lots of insights into the recording process and just how tough it was to be around ole Mark E. as speed and drink got in the way. For me, none of this detracts from how great Smith is, and how he bounced back to make many more great records after this incarnation of the Fall rightly quit. Bought a couple of the records I hadn’t heard whilst reading this too, so they got money out of me again. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Long, dry, tedious at times. Like, 3/4 of the time. Die hard fans will probably appreciate the minute details of bad diner food, but I found out rambling. I did prefer this over the Brix Smith book, mostly because she’s awful. Steve seems like he’d be a much more interesting character, but I didn’t gather that from this book.
If you are not a fan of the Fall, this book offers little of interest, as it is a very personalized accounting of what it was like over the years for Hanley to deal with Mark E. Smith.

But if you ARE a fan, then it's quite entertaining. Nothing overly ponderous, and concisely rendered, it gives a good sense of what it meant to be a member of Britain's craziest band. The book could have been much more interesting if Hanley discussed some of Mark Smith's motivations for his approach(es), or his own -- instead, it's more of an "I Was There" account. Enjoyable and well written.
I read it in three nights. I normally can't read 5 pages without falling asleep. I wish it had been twice as long. I literally felt sad that it was over.
The Fall's second longest serving member crafts one of the best rock book's I've ever read, more like a novel than a memoir, loaded with dialogue, detail, and local color. Kudos to both him and his coauthor. A must for Fall fans, along with Dave Simpson's book interviewing ex-members. Hanley's 19 years in The Fall (and Craig Scanlon's nearly as lengthy tour of duty) define the band for me -- I bought a few more albums after they left but basically lost interest afterwards. He was certainly a distinctive and powerful bass player. I'm about to plunge into the heart of darkness with Mark E Smith's autobio -- wish me luck! -- but it's good to be factually forearmed by Hanley's probably more reliable memories.
I've always maintained that bass players and drummers write the best music bios. They don't have the distorting egos to maintain, keeping slightly out of the spotlight, workmanlike, but gaining more perspective than the blokes at the front of the stage. Steve Hanley has seen it all the creative bloom and critical respect as well as the descent into oblivion under the initially benign but eventually mad (and maddening) dictatorship the godlike (and devilish) genius of Mark Smith. Not a band bio in the conventional sense, Hanley gives a direct personal account of his 20 years in one of the UK's most lauded bands. In a manner both direct and subtly dry and witty he draws you into a first-hand tale which is so finely crafted one can't help but feel that this might be a novel or a work of exceptionally literate self-analysis a tale so well told that it reads like fiction. While other Fall writings (and I've read them all) are largely crafted for the faithfull, Hanley has fashioned something for anyone who can appreciate the extremes of joy and bitter pain of reaching for the brass ring and falling short (and increasingly with with a longer drop). I can't thank Steve enough for writing a book which ultimately transcends the band and it's history and simultaneously adds to it'd depth no mean feat considering the extent of Fall's output. So, thank you Steve for writing the story of the Fall which the master wordsmith Mark Smith could never have written.
Ebook PDF The Big Midweek Life Inside The Fall Olivia Piekarski author Steve Hanley author 9781901927658 Books

0 Response to "[NLD]∎ Read Gratis The Big Midweek Life Inside The Fall Olivia Piekarski author Steve Hanley author 9781901927658 Books"

Post a Comment